- “Local Government” vehicles are any vehicles owned or leased by county, town, city, municipality, or the private or volunteer fire department that will be operated exclusively for essential governmental purposes or exclusively for fire protection purposes.
- County Clerks may approve and issue local government transactions.
- All other Government Transactions must be forwarded directly to the Vehicles Services Division for approval and processing.
- When filing application for certificate of title and registration, the following must be provided:
- Multi-purpose, Noting of Lien and Duplicate Title Application – Application for Title and Registration.
- Certificate of Title, Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin, Seizure Documents or Court Order.
- New Car Invoice if supported with Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin.
- Government Service Vehicle Registration Application completed in its entirety.
- County clerks, as agents of the state, are authorized to accept the sworn statements presented by the heads of government and entities to issue government service license plates
- Each county clerk shall approve for issuance the Government Service Vehicle Registration Application on behalf of the state
- All Government Services Vehicles must be issued Government Service plates
LEASED GOVERNMENT VEHICLES -
- Public Chapter 985 (2018) authorized vehicles leased by government agencies to obtain a Government Service plate.
GOVERNMENT VEHICLES OVERVIEW
For more information on U.S. Department of Defense surplus property being issued to local governments through the state's LESO (Law Enforcement Support Office) unit, please see Government Vehicle Overview.