MEMORIAL LICENSE PLATES - OVERVIEW
Tenn. Code Ann. Sections 55-4-250 (Fees: 55-4-103(f)(2), 55-4-103(f)(3), 55-4-111(a)(1) Class B, 55-4-132(a) and 55-4-204) 55-4-201, 55-4-202, 55-4-203(c)(5), 55-4-256, 55-4-257, 55-4-258, 55-4-261, 55-4-264 and 55-21-104
Memorial License Plates shall be issued free of charge to a qualified Veteran authorized by the above statutes. The plates in this section are listed below.
- Service Award Plates:
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Navy Cross
- Air Force Cross
- Silver Star
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Bronze Star (Valor)
- Air Medal (Valor)
- Congressional Medal of Honor
- Disabled Veterans, including those Disabled Veterans who choose to receive the Purple Heart Plate
- Former Prisoners of War
- Gold Star Family
- Holder of the Purple Heart
- Legion of Valor (This plate will no longer be issued)
- Qualified registrants may receive only one free plate from each plate category, unless the registrant has a second free plate from that category that was issued prior to May 19, 2014.
- If a registrant has more than one free plate issued prior to May 19, 2014, the plates shall remain free and may be transferred among vehicles.
- If a registrant is qualified for more than one of the memorial plates listed above, the registrant may receive one free plate in each memorial plate category for which they are eligible, except that:
- A registrant who is eligible for a Disabled Veteran Plate and a Holders of the Purple Heart Plate may not receive both. A qualified registrant who is eligible for both plates may choose the Holders of the Purple Heart Plate in lieu of the Disabled Veteran Plate pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-4-257(e)(1).
- A registrant who is eligible for more than one of the service award plates authorized by Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-4-259 may only receive one free plate from this category.
- If a registrant has two free plates that were issued prior to May 19, 2014, and they are also eligible for a free plate in a different category, they may receive an additional free plate provided that the combination of plates is consistent with this guidance.
- Clerk fees may apply.