Transaction Type 12 is used when a surviving spouse inherits a vehicle during the
current registration year. If application for title and registration is made within one (1)
year of the spouse’s death, a new title is issued at no cost. If application is made after
one year of the spouse’s death the transaction type then becomes a transaction type 01
(refer to Transaction Type 01 for more details).
If the surviving spouse does not qualify for the current plate, a new plate must be issued
at regular cost.
1. Multi-purpose Application completed in its entirety. 2. Tennessee Certificate of Title (unless in possession of a lien holder)
3. Death Certification (showing the surviving spouse)
4. Affidavit of Inheritance
5. If ‘Executor’ or ‘Administrator’ is appointed by the court, furnish a copy of the
document that verifies appointment.
AFFIDAVIT OF INHERITANCE
Applicant may pay the following:
• Registration fee (NO FEE unless new License plate is required or renewing plate).
• County Issuance fee(s) (NO FEE unless new License plate is required or renewing
• Title fee (NO FEE if application made within 1 year)
• Additional County Clerk fees may be applicable.