N5 (Title Only, Not on System)


Tenn. Code Ann. Section 55-3-118, 55-3-122


This transaction is used when a Certificate of Title is to be issued without registration for
a vehicle that is new to the database. The instances where “title only” is allowed are:

1. Trailers (e.g. boat trailers, campers and utility trailers)
2. All-terrain vehicles (ATV) (must show TDR number on application)
3. Mobile homes
4. Repossessions
5. Someone giving title to a minor child
6. Dealer’s selling vehicles out of state


1. Multi-purpose Application completed in its entirety
2. Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO), Out-of-State Title or foreign or
out-of-state registration (if lienholder is holding the title)
3. Title Extension Form (if applicable)
4. Security Agreement (if applicable)
5. New Car Invoice or Bill of Sale if application is supported with a MSO
6. Odometer Disclosure Statement (if applicable)


Applications not supported with a title or registration may in some instances be supported
with the following: Court Order, Certification of Ownership, Surety Bond, Notice of
Sheriff’s Sale, Divorce Decree, Repossession, or Abandoned Vehicle.

All-terrain vehicles (ATV)
Mobile homes
Confiscated Vehicle
Certification of Ownership
Surety Bond
Abandoned Vehicle

Applicant may pay the following:
• Title fee
• Lien fee (if applicable)
• County Issuance fee
• Sales and Use Tax may be applicable
• Additional County Clerk fees may be applicable.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.