RE-ASSIGNMENT OF REGISTRATION (OLD TO THE SYSTEM)
This transaction type occurs when an applicant acquires a new vehicle; and transfers a plate from a vehicle already titled and registered in the applicant’s name or when adding a spouse.
- Multi-Purpose Application For Title and Registration
- Tennessee Certification of Title
- Applications not supported with a Tennessee Title are acceptable, if supported with ONE of the following:
- Odometer Disclosure Statement (if applicable) - The Federal Odometer Statute defines certain vehicles that are (or may be) exempt from disclosure.
- Title Extension Form (if applicable)
Applicant may pay the following:
- Transfer fee
- Title fee
- Lien fee (if applicable)
- Sales and Use Tax may be applicable
- County Issuance fee(s)
- Lessor/Lessee fee (if applicable)
- Additional County Clerk fees may be applicable.
NOTE: The application for Certificate of Title and Registration must show the year and make of the vehicle from which the license plate is being transferred. This must be shown in the “License Not Trade-In” space on the application for title and registration.
NOTE: If the license plate being transferred is in joint ownership, it cannot be transferred to single ownership, except in the instance of a surviving spouse or for any license plate that is issued based on an individual’s eligibility as long as the clerk can verify which of the two owners was the qualifying individual.