Tenn. Code Ann. Section 55-4-219
Regular: 7000 Issue Year: 1994
Motorcycle: 7010 Issue Year: 1994
Rural Fire Departments: 3380 Issue Year: 1994
Low Speed Vehicle 7020 Issue Year: 2015
Government agencies at the local state or federal levels, registering
• Tennessee Community Action Agencies for van used only for agencies' activities
• Tennessee Development Districts
• Tennessee Human Resource Agencies
• The American Red Cross
• Senior Citizens Service Centers for vans used only for the centers' activities
• Rural Volunteer Fire Departments
• Low Speed - For use on any state owned four-wheeled electric or gasoline
vehicle, excluding gold carts, unless they have been modified to meet low speed
- Whose top speed is greater than twenty miles per hour (20 mph)
- But not greater than twenty-five miles per hour (25 mph)
- Including neighborhood electric vehicles
- Low speed vehicle must comply with the standards in 49 CFR 571.500
For complete information on defines a government agency, please see
“Government Vehicle Overview”.
LEASED GOVERNMENT VEHICLES:
Public Chapter 985 (2018) authorized vehicles leased by government agencies to obtain a Government Service plate.
PERSONALIZATION: These plates cannot be personalized.
For information on U.S. Department of Defense surplus property being issued to local governments through the state's LESO (Law Enforcement Support Office) unit, please see Government Vehicle Overview