Scooters/Mopeds/Motorized Bicycles/Tricycles

Tenn. Code Ann. Section 55-8-101; Section 55-8-103(d)


  • Scooters: A motorcycle with a motor that produces, not to exceed, five (5) brake horsepower or with a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding one hundred twenty five cubic centimeters (125cc). Any scooter that has a cylinder capacity of fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) or more is required to be titled and registered. Anything less than the fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) is not required to be titled and registered.
  • Mopeds: A motor driven bicycle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not to exceed fifty (50) cubic centimeters (50cc).
  • Motorized Bicycle: A vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground.
  • Motorized Tricycle: A vehicle such as a Polaris Slingshot, are non-saddled, three-wheeled vehicles and therefore qualify as motorcycles and should be registered as such.


  • If to be titled and registered, customers must submit ownership documents, such as MSO & bill of sale or invoice, if purchased new. If vehicle is used, customer must submit certificate of title, properly assigned.
  • If no ownership documents, the customer must apply for title and registration by Certificate of Ownership, the instructions are on the reverse side of the application.
  • The operator of a Scooter, Moped or Motorized Bicycle if applicable for the highway must be in possession of a valid operator’s Class M driver’s license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road.
Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.