If a manufactured home is affixed to a parcel of real property, and documented in the affidavit of affixation, and the legal ownership of the manufactured home and real property is identical, upon the recording of the affidavit of affixation at the local Registry of Deeds Office where the home is located, the owner shall surrender the certificate of the title or the manufacturer's statement or certificate of origin of the manufactured home to the Department for cancellation.
An affidavit of affixation allows the legal ownership interest in the manufactured home to be recorded in the register of deeds office in the county in which the real property and manufactured home is located.
The owner may de-title a mobile home by surrendering the certificate of title or titles, if more than one unit, a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO), or a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) for cancellation to the Vehicle Services Division by mail.
Once the de-title process is completed, owners or lienholders will be notified.
NOTE: There is no fee associated with de-titling a mobile home.
- Letter of request to De-title
- Certificate of Title or Certificate of Origin or Manufactured Statement of Origin
- Certified copy of warranty deed or instrument of conveyance evidencing the real property*
- Certified copy of the Affidavit of Affixation that is recorded at the local Registry of Deeds Office where the home is located.*
- Please email all required documentation to VehicleServices.Research@tn.gov.
*Please note the format in which the Registry of Deeds will certify copies of the required documentation may vary. The certification may be displayed as a stamp, sticker, letter or other format.
Request for Title to be Reinstated - If the legal owner desires to sell the manufactured home that has become affixed to real property for which their certificate of title or titles for each unit has been cancelled, a new certificate of title may be reissued by applying with their County Clerk.
The Following Documents are required to re-instate a De-Titled Mobile Home:
- Multi-purpose, Noting of Lien and Duplicate Title Application – For Title and Registration.
- Copy of the abstract of land showing legal ownership of manufactured home and real property along with any mortgages recorded upon the real property.
- A lien release for every lienholder listed on the abstract of land title or lienor’s statement that lien is to be recorded on the face of the certificate of title.
- Title fee for the certificate of title for the manufactured home or for each component unit.
Certified copy of the Affidavit of Affixation that is recorded at the local Registry of Deeds Office where the home is located.